by

How To: Annual Performance Indicators

I was trying to find some good metrics to use as annual review for people. I know, I know...annual review can be a drag sometimes but this is the process, this is the rule and we have to abide to it. After all, think about it: it is for our own improvement. If you are relatively new to the process. It can be difficult sometimes to find KPIs to measure people performances.
So my line of thought was to first identify potential in people, and the easier for me was by comparison. I sit down during the last EPL match interval over the weekend and wrote down a few points that might offer me some clue on how to achieve this. After I found the potential indicators, I then cross-check this with someone experienced and insightful. (in my case, I used my mother's advices)
A few things were left out, a few things she suggested to be included. What you read here is not a definitive list but just a few points to help my task to be more manageable..of course I am sharing this hoping that it also help others during their annual review process.
The Fascination Indicator
My mom, for instance, she's a great leader. Don't ask me why or how, but people just follow her. People are always sitting around her and listening when she speaks. Including people that happens to just have met her soon realize how leading role in conversations. I think one of the key things to measure in leaders is their ability to relate to our dreams/aspirations. Somehow, leaders can identify what makes us tick and drive that force ahead. The leader might not even believe in our dreams but knows that it is important for the dreamer and that positioning sends a powerful message. "I might not agree with you but you know what, I understand you and I can help you make that happen and at the same time aligning it to my things"
The "What are you doing?" Indicator
Great leaders and great managers share something in common: both know what they wanted to do. The difference is that leaders know how to get others to do things, by sending a message of importance. If people don't know the reasons why they do things and what they are doing, they wont wear the team's jersey.
ok...so if I elaborate a bit more on this I think we can say that leaders know how to tell people what to do, not how to do. ( Maybe great managers know the 'how to do'? )
The Innovation Indicator
Great leaders encourage people to think and to innovate, to be creative. Great leaders are also not necessarily the most skilful, to be honest most of the great leaders I've known are average technically but exceptional in 2 or 3 facets. To this point, I would like to think that excellence is required, not perfection. One can't be be perfect, but one can aim at that being excellent.
 
The Care Indicator ("our hopes and expectations, black holes and revelations")
We all know that, as individuals, we work very hard for the customer satisfaction. Most of us have already a great deal os successes and maybe a few failures in our belt (failures are important and I will write about this later on). Important question here is: Are you being taken care of? Are your strengths and weaknesses being recognized?
The Humble Indicator
That's a hot topic. Every now and then I come across people who says this is NOT an important aspect of life. If you think it is not, I completely understand your position...however this post is mine, so I am going to count it as a valid point :)
Try to think about the moments when all the glory and joy and smiles were shared with you as a team. Think about the winning moments. The humble people and successful people tend to share all their pie with everyone. not sure why, but I like to believe that no one can do anything alone ( again, another hard topic...but bear with me on this one, please ) and if everyone is happy in the final, everyone will want to have another victory like that.
The Character Indicator
Being honest, truthful, accountable. He was dependable. When he gave you his word, you always knew you could count on it. He didn't cheat. He didn't try to find the easy way out of a tough situation. He didn't waffle on his principles. He was not inflexible, but there simply were limits that he wouldn't cross.
The Motivation Indicator ( "Come with me if you want to live" )
We earthlings do things because we want to do them. I sometimes do things because I expect something else to happen, either be a good feedback for my annual review... or record a podcast with no experience at all..just because I want to have the experience. Whatever the reasons are, at the heart of it is motivation. Is the person you are thinking a motivator? does he makes you think about things you haven't considered and having a go at it?
The Likeability Indicator
Both managers and leaders share this same aspect, both are very likeable people. They must be. Teams depend on it. Selling ideas to the masses. People needs to be approachable and likeable in order to sell their pitch to others.
The Time Management Indicator
Another good point to note is the time management aspects. Time is the most valuable asset in our lives. People who genuinely cares about you spend quality time. Think about those monthly 1:1 meetings and how do you feel before the meeting and after the meeting.
The Gel indicator
To "gel with someone" is probably the #1 indicator of the likeability and leader relationship. When engaging in a conversation both of you speak at the same speed? Do you mirror gestures? when someone smiles, does he/she looks away from you or keep face contact?
I am open to discussion, to elaborate the points, to take in other suggestions. I see this as a collaborative exercise and I hope it can be helpful to you, reader, somehow.

Cheers,

By

No comments:

Post a Comment