by

Fix Visual Studio 2005 Slow Start

Microsoft Visual Studio 2005

If you are, like me, a heavy user of Microsoft Visual Studio 2005, chances are that you have experienced at some point a very slow application start. Once my visual studio 2005 was taking about 30 seconds just to load the interface.

After some good research, I could find a very interesting point: my visual studio was referencing a solution that I haven't worked in the last 8 months. Going deep on this, I saw this registry key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\8.0\ProjectMRUList (MRU stands for "Most Recently Used")
If you have never touched this key via any regedit application, chances are that it is holding the last 20 projects you worked using VS 2005, and it does not matter how many are listed in your MRU list in your "File menu".

Why does Visual Studio 2005 saves the last 20 projects even thou I choose to save only the last 5 ones is still a a mistery.

So, happens that some of the solutions in my list were pointing to remote drives that I do not access anymore, thus creating this delay when loading Visual Studio.

To fix that I simply deleted the values for this key and it is all good now.

By

2 comments:

  1. AnonymousJune 08, 2008

    There could be one more reason for the slowness and it is breakpoints. if you have breakpoints set in different DLLs then the app starts very slow. So i have found a solution. you may visit this site to find the solution.
    http://saurabhramya.googlepages.com/save%26loadbreakpointsinvisualstudio

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should also check the default locations values for HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\8.0 to see if they reference any network drives.

    ReplyDelete